June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month. All month long, you will see social media posts from me to raise awareness and hopefully inspire you to join me in the fight to #ENDALZ!
Women are at the epicenter of the Alzheimer’s crisis. Did you know that:
- A woman’s estimated lifetime risk of developing Alzheimer’s at age 65 is 1 in 6, compared with nearly 1 in 11 for a man. As real a concern as breast cancer is to women’s health, women in their 60s are about twice as likely to develop Alzheimer’s during the rest of their lives as they are to develop breast cancer.
- Almost two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer’s are women.
- There are 2.5 times more women than men providing intensive “on-duty” care 24 hours a day for someone with Alzheimer’s.
- More than 60 percent of Alzheimer’s and dementia caregivers are women.
If you want to participate in the movement:
- Join my team – Team Lorene, named in honor of my mother-in-law – and help me raise money for the cause.
- On Facebook, like the Alzheimer’s Association Fan Page to stay up-to-date on research and breakthroughs.
- Browse the Alzheimer’s Association website to find out more.
Talk to you soon,